Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Same-sex marriage , education reform and Snookie from the Jersey shore... yup

So anyone who knows me knows my little “obsessions” and maybe my over posting of links on facebook regarding issues I am thinking about that day.. Sorry guys.. At least I am not just updating my status to say when I brushed my teeth last!




So what am I thinking about today? Same-sex marriage debate and public education in America.. And then it dawned on me…why not share more of this on my blog.. After all that’s what blogs are for.. Your thoughts.. And not just about me.. So I am going to try and incorporate more of that in this colorful little smorgasbord of a free-blog..



So lets start with same-sex marriage.. As you all know, I spent a nifty few years in the land of beach babes, Hollywood.. Arnold Schwarzenegger as governor and being the state with the most debt…. Hooray California.. I have quite an affinity for my sun-drenched state since after growing up in Texas, I longed for something different..not necessarily better but different… That said.. I was quite shocked when prop 8 passed. I was not in California at the time ( here in belitalia which has its own problems regarding this issue.. ) but I do care a lot about what is going on in the country of my birth.. And I have a lot of gay and lesbian friends who are in more stable relationships than many of my heterosexual friends.. And should have the right ( in my humble opinion) to marry.



So what’s the deal? Especially since California ( at least LA, san Diego and san Francisco seem to be very tolerant ) .. Are people just not voting?.. Or do people secretly really do not agree with same -sex unions on the basis of protecting traditional marriage? That’s the biggest argument against same sex marriage that I have seen and the one that is the most ludicrous to me! I just don’t get it.. We’re talking a no-fault divorce state with a first marriage divorce rate of around 60% ( Google it! ) …. What is “traditional marriage” nowadays ? I think it makes sense that with modernization of time-culture- and people.. Laws regarding what’s traditional or not are going to have to change as to not discriminate against anyone ( such as mixed-race marriage ect ect ) .. And as a human being.. What do people have against something that doesn’t concern them? No-one is asking prop 8 supporters to become a lesbian or gay man or even believe in homosexuality but as with the separation of church and state ( duh) this shouldn’t even be an argument.. I say ….you want to protect traditional marriage? Outlaw divorce… choose one prop 8 supporters!



Now onto public school education.. Basically what got me started on this was watching a 20/20 show http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx4pN-aiofw called “stupid in America “ ahem.. “nice title” eh? Basically comparing the voucher “European model” to the way we handle education ( state controlled and we don’t choose where we put our kids.. Ie: public schools) .. And it was really interesting.. Especially concerning the fact that I live in Europe and have often wondered how the two compare.. Its easy to think you’re the best when you’ve been told you are growing up.. And I wouldn’t argue about university education ( except about the cost ) being top level in America.. But primary and secondary schools? And what about vocational schools? Is everyone meant to go to college..



Ok too many questions for my blog but things that concern me and my children’s future ( if I decide to have them! ) .. Now I am not going to take everything 20/20 says as fact but it doesn’t take a scientist to acknowledge that we have some problems.. Especially in secondary school in regards to math and reading…. I have family who are teachers and friends and undoubtedly they have a difficult job with not such amazing pay and provide a great service to our country.. Which is why they should be rewarded when they do well and punished when they under perform.. as with any job .. Makes sense no? It seems to me that this voucher idea is being pushed under the rug and people are scared to change the “status quo” .. but my question is why? Why are those Finnish - Korean- Japanese students doing better at a high school level .. I found this quote :



“And on the global playing field, the "We're No. 1" honors go to Finland, Japan and Korea - places where the football spurring deep passions is round, not oblong. Finland, Japan and Korea were the top finishers in an OECD (www.oecd.org) study that measured 265,000 15-year-olds' literacy in reading, mathematics and science (see charts accompanying this feature).
U.S. fans fed up with the BCS may find little comfort in the OECD rankings. The apropos U.S. refrain would run something like, "We're No. . . . Ah, 'Bout Average, Dude, . . . Whatever." U.S. students finished 15th in reading, 19th in math and 14th in science - and in a study that only ranked 31 nations.”



I know there is no easy answer to these questions or concerns but it really did awaken something in me.. And I will be looking closer at education in America .. I think making schools more competitive in general would help not hurt students and hopefully we will see some improvements in the future.. We can’t just expect to receive a great education in the private sector but must demand it in the public as well.. One step at a time but refusing to acknowledge that there IS indeed a problem isn’t going to fly.. At least with not with me.. NPR had some interesting pod casts regarding California’s education reform and the measures some superintendents in Los Angeles was making..worth a listen! But number one thing parents can do is start at home.. Read read and more reading! I love to read and always did.. I will encourage my kids to do the same by showing them how much mom loves her books! .. Lol.. Ok enough talk about me being a mom!!!!



So those are my thoughts for today.. Intense no? T-man says I need to stay away from the news - pod casts - books for awhile and just relax.. Maybe he’s got a point.. Well there’s always the Jersey shore.. A little “snookie” would brighten anyone’s day.. As long as she doesn’t get punched!






What am I looking forward to this week? More progress with my job.. Aperativo with friends on Thursday.. Expat meetup Friday and dinner and movie night on Saturday… and they say there’s nothing to do in winter!!!!!

No comments: