Friday, November 7, 2008

Italian kids vs. American kids.. and the winner is..

by far AMERICAN KIDS. well as you know I have been working with several Italian families here in Florence and subsequently taking the abuse that their kids throw at me lol. Now I will say that there have been good moments, even happy ones but unfortunately I haven't seen those lately which now means blog time!

many people will say..American kids are so spoiled, picky eaters, don't listen , which is true in some cases , I have met some spawns of Lucifer in my times but after about 2 years on and off working with Italian kids, the few times I take the odd babysitting assignment for American tourists here I am so thankful that its hard to wipe the silly grin off my face. Why? They listen, they brush their teeth, they go to bed after I read them the 1 story requested and the parents actually CARE if the kids speak to me bad. Which my friends, is refreshing! Everything is done in a professional, here's my number in case of an emergency , there is food in the fridge, kids must go to bed by such and such time.. not the case in my Italian family experiences..

Most of the time when I work for Italian families its as if i am walking into chaos.. no instructions, no games plans, definitely no emergency numbers, nobody cares or asks if I am hungry and as far as payment goes.. I am lucky if they actually remember to pay me when they say they will. Some examples of this weeks festivities..

Me: " ok Fabiola ( 3 yr old Italian girl) , do you want to go in the garden and play?"

( keep in mind i am supposed to speak English with her which results in blank stares and my favorite phrase by her which is " i hate English, I'm Italian which means i am only supposed to speak italian!" um ok.. my job is officially irrelevant..

Her " ( in italian) I hate you , GO away , why do you always come over to my house and try and make me go into the garden , I am angry with you!"

( reference to garden comment :the mom asks that i take her into the garden for "fresh air" ..easier said than done!).

7pm rolls around which I eagerly gather my things and leave, awkwardly saying goodbye to the family who could care less that I exist..

Of course the Moms sister exclaims .. " oh children are like sponges, I have a German nanny and all my kids understand German" its so great..

oh really? great for who? your German nanny who probably suffers the same mistreatment on a daily basis while the kids learn a "wie gehts" and a "hallo" .

Seriously there needs to be some classes on how to discipline your kids here! I would never let my kids talk to people like that, much less those who are hired to work for them! anyhow who am i kidding, these are the kind of people who have 2 live in nannies.. i just want to say to them .. you speak English, how about spending time with your kids and just speaking English to them? they live in Italy, they will pick up Italian fast enough! so i think it is time to find another family and see if I can find the holy grail of Italian families.. to be continued..


at this point I am going to get back to more important issues such as , where to go to lunch.. any advice?

No comments: